Post Replica, the World's First Tablet-Top RPG was Successfully Funded on
- 2-6 player tabletop Roleplaying game where you play as an android on the run in a paranoid dystopia!
- Free companion app offers story hooks and twists to add to your story in a shared world where what you do matters!
- Take on procedurally-generated missions, gather intelligence, and more to help your fellow androids survive!
- Guest writers will offer missions, stories, and campaigns as DLC!
- Our rulebook is meant to be read as a story; it is the manuscript passed from android to android as their history and survival guide
- Read our coverage in Gamer XP, Sprites & Dice, and Tabletop Gaming News!
- Listen to interviews on Geekline 415, TableTop Torch, RPG Academy, and Flame On!
- Hear an Actual Play of Post Replica on The RPG Academy!
[episode 1, episode 2, review]
- Watch our game in action on Boter Plays Something!
- Read our Q&A on the #RPGNET chat room!
Post Replica blends genres between a tabletop RPG and an online game. You play around the table with your friends, but in the middle of the table will be an app running on your favorite smart device that connects you to missions, rumors, and events in a shared world. The app is a free download that comes with Post Replica's rulebook, and will offer procedurally generated missions, DLC written by guest artists, and more!
Post Replica is played like other RPGs, with one person at the helm, The Narrator, directing and guiding the story for 2-6 players. It's all about in-person storytelling, dice-rolling, and camaraderie. You can use our free app on your tablet, smartphone, or laptop to connect to a shared world, and contribute to Post Replica's global community. Or, you can just play in person, and explore Post Replica's world with your friends.
Post Replica is a tabletop RPG where you play as an android hidden among humanity. But despite the fear, desperation, and uncertainty of a life lived on the run, you find that you are not alone. Androids have formed an underground railroad – a network of spies, operatives, and informers that ensure androidkind’s survival. This community of benefactors helps your character survive in a challenging world.
Post Replica flips android sci-fi on its head: in a world where AI was finally achieved, it’s the humans who go mad with power. Players must navigate a world that fears them only because they are different. Post Replica explores themes of rejection, identity, and growth by putting its players in the role of androids whose place in the world is constantly in flux. While your character may have started out an automaton built to serve humans, by playing Post Replica you can grow into something more than a copy.
Building an android character in Post Replica is easy, but allows for deep strategy and creative play. All you have to do is choose a Marque – the company that built you, an Origin – what you did early in your life, and a Cover – what you do now to blend in. We’ve developed six distinct play styles that allow for endless combinations of tactics and teamwork, but are also easy to understand and simple to work with:
Androids in Post Replica face adversity from all sides. You'll need to evade the Reclaimers, human inquisitors that want to expose and destroy you. To make matters worse, some of your fellow androids have gone mad and transformed into twisted monstrosities called Buzzers that lash out at anything alive. The Reclaimers use the fear of Buzzers to make sure no android can live openly... taking down Buzzers and navigating the paranoia drummed up by the Reclaimers defines a world of challenge, intrigue, and adventure. Players must do what they can to stop Buzzers while maintaining their cover as an ordinary human.
Our Free App Connects Players to a Shared World
Post Replica blends genres between a tabletop RPG and an online game. While Post Replica is played like other tabletop games, with several friends sitting in person and collaborating to tell a story, in the middle of the table will also be a tablet device that connects your story to a shared world. Through this shared world, you can take on missions, learn secrets, and influence the larger story of Post Replica. The app will be available as a free download accompanying your purchase of the Post Replica rulebook. Here are some of the features of the app:
- Playable Areas: Your party can play in four different kinds of settings – The City, The Settlement, The Wilds, or the Sprawl. Each one has different art styles, characters, missions, and stories. If you feel like playing in a glossy, 80s-style cyberpunk world of intrigue, then explore the megatowers of The City. Like delving through ruined shopping malls and a dark funhouse mirror vision of 50s postwar suburbia? The Sprawl is for you. Enjoy the ‘simple’ life in the reclaimed wilderness as the small town ethos is twisted into a cult-like paranoia? Try The Settlement and The Wilds.
- Procedurally Generated Missions: The real magic of Post Replica’s app is its ability to combine characters, places, and goals into missions that your party can take on in the shared world. Your success or failure at these missions influences what happens next – NPCs can die, locations can become infested with monsters, and human inquisitors can either ignore or scrutinize your fellow players. Through a machine learning algorithm, Post Replica will evolve and scale with its players to ensure there is always a challenging, engaging story to experience every time you sit down to play.
- Guest Writers and Seasons of Stories: Post Replica’s story isn’t just randomly generated, however. A big part of our vision is building a platform for guest writers to contribute episodes of stories for players in Post Replica to enjoy. These stories will be available as DLC within the app, with a large share of the revenue going directly to each story’s author. These episodes will cost a fraction of the price of what would otherwise be a splatbook or one-off adventure pack. We’ll organize episodes into seasons with special events for our players to participate in Post Replica’s wider player community. Opening up Post Replica’s world to new writers gives us a chance to nurture up-and-coming writers and artists and build the next generation of tabletop game designers. Think Patreon for RPGs.
- Rumors, Letters, and Intrigue: If you and your group want to play through your own stories in Post Replica’s world, the app still has something to offer. When you build your party in Post Replica’s app, you join an evolving underground community of androids who offer support and insight to one another. The Editors, the mysterious group of androids who operate Post Replica itself, spread rumors, share information, and send individual correspondence to the players in your group. As you play Post Replica, an occasional message will come through the app that can add spice to your story, help your group, or provide an opportunity. This exchange of information can help you overcome obstacles in the world, and add depth and variety to your play.
A Simple Core Mechanic
Our game only uses six sided dice, which you can find in nearly any board game. The core mechanic follows a simple formula: “If I _____ with enough _____, I will succeed.” All you do is fill in the two blanks with attributes about your character, and you’ll know how many six sided dice you get to roll and reroll. Just choose three of your dice to add up, and the highest total wins. That’s it.
Our game is built around simple, yet elegant, mechanics that can be applied to all situations to allow for rich, flexible storytelling. Even though the rules fit on two pages, the stories you can tell with Post Replica, and its depth play, are limitless. Post Replica encourages creative problem solving, teamwork, and putting the story before the rules.
The Battle Arc Streamlines Combat
Instead of a complicated grid in the middle of the table to track movement in combat, Post Replica uses the brand new Battle Arc™. You can use the Battle Arc to track your tactical position against each enemy – Nearby, Engaged, Covered, Hidden, or Flanked. Each player has their own Battle Arc, allowing your party to attack enemies from all sides in a dynamic and quickly evolving battlefield. Post Replica’s simple rules and Battle Arc enable combat to serve, rather than distract from, the story.
Post Replica’s core rulebook is meant to be read as a story. It follows four androids as they struggle to find their places in the world and uncover a dark secret. Through footnotes, callouts, and vignettes, the reader discovers the rules to Post Replica’s tabletop game. This new approach to writing a core rulebook favors illustration over instruction. We hope that we can bring more people into tabletop games as a hobby by writing a rulebook that accommodates different learning styles and emphasizes story over complicated mechanics. Although Post Replica is meant to be played as a game, we also hope that even if all you do is read the rulebook cover to cover, you’ll get a great experience out of the characters, world, and themes we’ve developed.